Friday, October 15, 2010

Starting Off

First off, I can't take credit for any of this, because this was entirely my mom's idea. She was sitting in our kitchen during a hot summer day in June and declared that it was time she left the country for awhile. If anyone knows my mom this does not come as a surprise, because she has been traveling outside the country most of her life. She is a retired flight attendant. My mom worked for Pan American Airlines and United Airlines for more years than I've been alive. Traveling is our family's culture, and from a young age I was a tag along on her many adventures. So sitting on the kitchen counter talking about the next big trip was any regular day for us, yet my mom said that she wanted to do something with purpose and proposed the idea of volunteering abroad. As she talked about the different places to go and what kind of work there was to do, I insisted on going with her.

We settled on volunteering in Tibet, and other regions of the Himalayas in Nepal and India. My mom had lived in India at one time, and her and I had the opportunity to travel to Nepal when I was in high school. Something about the culture in the Himalayan region spoke to us, and we both agreed that was where we were in most need.

I am currently an English major at Dixie State College in St. George, Utah. I graduate this coming December, and the plan is to leave on my volunteer trek in mid January. My English degree will certify me to teach English while volunteering abroad to children. I am anxiously awaiting this adventure, and look forward to using my degree to help children in rural communities.

Now as graduation is approaching for myself, so is this the task of taking on this volunteering experience. I have my blog and website to create awareness and interest in my trip. I'm also using these tools as a way of documenting my experiences and also sharing them with anyone who is interested. The experience is also counting for college credit. There is just one hang up: traveling is expensive! And volunteering in rural places is even more expensive. This is where I need help. I feel fortunate that I can serve abroad, and I want to share my experiences, but if I can't raise enough money I won't be able to go. I am a full time student, and only work part time, so needless to say I lack the funds for this trip. I believe it is for a good cause one that will be life changing for myself, and also the people I will meet along the way. I want to raise enough funds to go on this journey abroad. Maybe you can help?

I set up a paypal account that anyone can donate to, or you can contact me. I would rather receive donations toward volunteering abroad than graduation gifts and/or Christmas presents. I want to give what I have to the people of the Himalayas.

No comments:

Post a Comment