I'm a tourist. Tourists travel places to see and experience new things, and that's exactly what I set out to do when I decided to come to India. I also planned on volunteering whatever skills and talents I have (or don't have) to the community I was staying in. I recognize that I'm a foreigner, and that having fine thin blonde hair and white skin singles me out as a commodity in a sea of beautiful black and dark brown tanned Tibetans and Indians. This is what I love about traveling--exploring the unfamiliar and uncomfortable.
I also love to people watch, because really that's takes up the majority of time when traveling. I come to strange lands to see how the people live, and to maybe take away some of what we learned and apply this new knowledge to our own lives. Or maybe I think "Holy shit these people are crazy!" and that's entertaining as well. I love learning about other cultures, but when I'm people watching I cannot help but watch the other tourists as well. Tourists are ridiculously entertaining.
Things have been changing in Mcleodganj as the weather gets warmer. More and more tourists have come to our beautiful little village, and although it's crowded, it's brings the city alive. New shops have opened, and more cooking and yoga classes are starting. Business is booming, and the high tourist season between March-May is much anticipated for most everyone.
With the increase in tourism I have found some different types of highly entertaining tourists:
1. Anti-Tourists Tourists. I met a woman today, briefly, who I was casually talking to in front of a cafe. She asked where I was off to, and I told her to that I intended to visit the Bhagsu waterfall to which she replied "Oh, that is soo touristy!" In somewhat of a haughty tone.
"Well, I'm a tourist" I replied.
"Oh" she said. And you are too, I thought to myself, but that's fine. I love this comment, because I've heard this phrase so many times in my travels, and I think it's a funny concept when foreigners believe that when something such as a landmark, place, building, etc. becomes a popular attraction it somehow loses its appeal. Is such a response appropriate? Popularity is merely stemmed from mass fascination, and I think people earn the right to see what all the fuss is about. Then after some thought, I realize that humans love to know that they have discovered something special, something they can call their own, or claim ownership of. This search for discovery is found in almost all tourists, and this makes sense, we want to explore and conquer--it's in our nature. Yet, I feel it shouldn't hinder us from exploring great places that have been discovered for years.
Do you know these tourists? I'm sure you do. They are the tourists thats seem to know more about the place they are visiting more than anyone else, perhaps, even more than the locals. I love these tourists. I talk with these tourists, and usually I gain a very interesting and insightful conversation out of our interactions. Seriously, I love these tourists. I love them! These tourists who don't know (or think) they're tourists. These tourists also get irritated when new tourists arrive. As if the fact they took their three-week holiday to India at the first of March instead of the end elevates them over the latter group. When I look at these tourists I want to shake them, rub their eyes for them, and wake them up to the realization that we're all tourists we should be stoked others are experiencing this great place we've been visiting for the last little while! I want to remind them India is really really old, and has been long discovered... And hey, that's ok!
2. This is what they wear here right? Tourist. No, tourist, no one wears that but the other friends you're traveling with. No one wears tye dye shirts, shawls, baggy harem pants, and hiking boots. No Indian or Tibetan I've met has intentional dreadlocks with beads and yarn woven into their unwashed knots.
I enjoy fashion, and especially the different fashions of cultures I visit. India is an amazing place for fashion. From colorful Saris to the dark reds of monks' robes, the clothes are vibrant and beautiful. Aside from the traditional clothing most locals here wear jeans, tshirts, sweaters, and sneakers. Pretty much the same standard as most foreigners.
Today one of my Tibetan students, Tsewang, said to my mom "Tibetans don't wear Indian clothing."
My mom said "Okay."
Tsewang then asked "Why so many foreigner wear this clothing?"
"I don't know."
I really don't know why so many tourists feel the need to dress a certain way to fit in with the culture, because no matter how one dresses, the locals still know who is foreign, and I don't think it has a lot to do with the clothing choices. I think it's great to buy pieces that illustrate that culture and appreciate the fashion that the culture represents. I look around though, and some tourists are just wearing heaps of mismatched craziness. I love these tourists, because so many thoughts cross my mind when I first see them, but I always smile ending on the though of how great these people are to feel so comfortable in such an odd assortment of clothing. I just want to know where the origin of this style originated? Because it seems such a standard for so many tourists, but it's not really tied to any culture.
I won't lie though, some of those baggy hammer pants look really airy and comfortable on hot days. Maybe I'll buy some as well! :)
3. Doesn't realize they are in another country Tourist. One day a woman was eating at Shangrila, a wonderful restaurant on Jogiwara Road, which has tasty food for cheap prices. The place is ran by monks, and also trains young and old monks on running the restaurant. The money made from the restaurant goes towards the monks' monastery. Great food, great people, great prices. Could you ask for a better place? I don't think so.
There is a monk who works at front desk named Tashi. He is also tutored by multiple teachers from LHA. A woman (a tourist) was dining at Shangrila and became very angry at Tashi, because apparently the milk tea the monks had made her wasn't strong enough for her liking. Tashi, who is limited on his vocabulary of the English language, was confused by the woman's complaints to which she became more outraged. At this point many people tried to intervene, but the woman was more and more upset, and eventually the woman stormed out--muttering insults under her breath. Tashi was also very upset. All this over tea.
I find myself hard to forgive and understand tourists like this woman. Why come somewhere like India, when you are so particular on how your tea is prepared? Tea is so minuscule. In a place like India, with its chaos of uncontrollable dirtiness, loudness in music, unrestricted dancing, and hectic traffic you must give in, and leave behind the tiny unimportant comforts of home. Especially the high expectations of such personal perfections in tea preparation.
I have a quote I keep on a reserve as a constant reminder while I'm in India. Clifton Fadiman writes "When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable." We travel to experience, but to gain experience we must interact with the unknown. I personally believe traveling should leave you with lasting impressions of faces, unforgettable memories, and slightly beaten up and exhausted. New experiences means that there will be times that you are uncomfortable, insecure, and maybe a little scared. Getting through those feelings and surviving is what makes the experiences so unforgettably amazing! I thought the entire time I was on the train from Panthakot to Rishikesh while I was sitting in heightened anxiety in a filthy upper sleeper with no windows, horrible smells, and strange sounds coming from either side Please, dear God, let me survive this journey only to exit the station in Rishikesh feeling rejuvenated. I survived and realized it wasn't as bad as I initially thought, and rode back a week later effortlessly. I will never forget my first experience on the Indian Railways, because I detested the train at first, but now ride with ease as I've come to accept that this is simply how the train is in India.
*Oh... I've had the milk tea at Shangrila several times, (I think of myself as somewhat of a tea connoisseur) and I think they make a damn fine cup of tea.
I meet locals here all the time, and many are excited to know that this is my first time to India, and I have no idea what I'm doing. Not because they want to take advantage of my naivety, but mostly because they are excited to share their knowledge about their home. I'm a tourist, I'm from a small town in Utah, I don't fit in, and that's great!
No comments:
Post a Comment